Saturday, April 14, 2007

Ryan's quilt

This is the quilt I made for my friend who sadly lost her baby very late in the pregnancy last year. It was a little boy and they named him Ryan - hence "Ryan's quilt".

It was really hard as a friend to see her and her husband go through something so awful without really being able to do much except phone them every now and then to see how they were going, so I really wanted to make something for them just to let them know that I really cared.

I didn't really plan the design - it just happened organically. I thought initially I'd make a log cabin, but I really love the simplicity and elegance of pinwheels; and I'm not usually a fan of gender-specific colours, but the baby blue just seemed appropriate in this case.

After I'd pieced it together, I decided to embroider some labels which I've shown below in the photos. Not being much of a needleworker, I had some trouble with the lettering as you can see! But I'm really, really, really pleased with how it turned out, and it's only my third quilt ever!

It measures approximately 33" square - so kind of a lap quilt. I don't mind if she just sticks it in the cupboard and pulls it out every now and then - it's just a little something to commemorate their little man that they lost. I shed many tears over this project!!!

I'm seeing her tomorrow for lunch and I'm going to give it to her then. She knows I'm making her something but she doesn't know what it is yet! I hope she likes it! Let me know what you all think!







No comments:

Post a Comment