Sunday, May 3, 2009

Couch Quilt



This is a re-design of a couch quilt that I made for my partner about a year and a half ago. The original quilt was a simple patchwork of bright multicoloured squares with the blue stripey fabric as backing.

However, I rushed the quilting and stuffed up the binding, and about a week after I'd finished it - sick of looking at my poor workmanship - I attacked it with a pair of scissors and hacked the whole thing up. Over the next few days I cut all the squares into strips and re-pieced the entire quilt top; using the blue fabric to make new half-square rectangle blocks. I then rotated each block within the rows and incorporated a black sashing to separate them. Finally I added a white border to make the whole thing pop.

Then it sat in my "UFO" ("unfinished objects") drawer for a year and a half!

Then yesterday - sick of all my current quilting projects - I decided to finish this one off for good. I really, really wanted to quilt around each individual square but I physically couldn't fit the quilt under the machine! (Birthday hint - long-arm quilting machine ploise!) So I had to settle for some diagonal quilting lines with my walking foot.

There is a tiny bit of bunching up in the middle of the quilt, about a third of the way down from the top, but it's not that noticeable. And I have to say, it looks fantastic on the couch! And she loves it!